logo logo

My father has gifted me his self acquired residential property under a registered gift deed. The Khata of the property now stands in my name and I am paying property tax regularly in respect of this property. I have a married sister. My question to you is whether my sister can claim a share in this property after the death of my father?

- by Siddarth, Bangalore-3

Since the house property which has been gifted to you by your father under a registered gift deed was his self acquired property over which he had absolute right, title and interest which  can be alienated at his sweet will, and the khatha of the property now stands in your name, the gift is absolute and irreversible. The question of bringing the ancestral property right by your sister doesn't arise  in this case since the property was purchased by your father from out his own earning and hence he had authority to dispose of this property as he like. Therefore, your married sister shall have no right whatsoever either now or at a later date in respect of this property.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.