logo logo

My father is a General Power of Attorney holder in respect of property at Kengeri. He is paying the taxes regularly and receipts are issued in his name. My question is whether my father can  sell this property  to any other person and get it registered in the name of the purchaser by virtue of this GPA. As I want to retain the property for my use, whether my father can registar the property in my name.   Please advise?

- by Madhukar,

The  holder of General Power of Attorney cannot purchase the property in his own name, nor can he be the owner of the property. He is only acting on behalf of the owner of the property as per the terms of power of attorney. However, if the power of attorney is obtained on payment of consideration he may get the property registered in his name. If the terms of power of attorney provides for disposal of the property by way of sale, gift, exchange etc., then your father will be within his powers to dispose of the property in terms of the general power of attorney. 


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.