logo logo

I am married and have two children. However, I had a girl friend with whom I had intimate relationship before marriage and have two children from her. My girl friend is dead.  I own some properties, which are self-acquired and also some inherited ancestral property. I want to settle the issue of properties, now itself to be operative after my death to avoid any disputes. Can I give some portion of the properties to my children from my girl friend?

- by ,

Your children from your girl friend are eligible for shares in your both self-acquired and inherited property, as per law. Law does not differentiate between your legitimate children and children from your girl friend. In case of your self-acquired property, you are at liberty to deal as you like during your lifetime; the ancestral property has to be shared among all your children and wife and you do not have any options. You may make a Will bequeathing your self-acquired property as you wish, and the ancestral property devolves as per law. 


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.