logo logo

If the property owner dies, what is the procedure to be followed for changing the property to his legal heirs.

- by Muniswamy, Guntur

Legal heirs have to approach the competent court of law to obtain succession certificate. Government employees may obtain legal heirs certificate from Revenue authorities.  In case the property left behind by the deceased person are sites / houses falling within the city limits, the legal heirs have to obtain a death certificate, succession certificate, legal heirs certificates with supporting affidavit and details of the property before the concerned Revenue authorities like city corporation, city municipal council, city municipality, gram Panchayat for change in revenue records.  Similarly in the case of revenue lands one has to approach the concerned local authorities in the respective Taluka or the Tahsildar for the change of names in mutation records and RTC.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.