logo logo

I have recently purchased some immovable properties at Banaswadi out of my earnings.  I do not have any children and have adopted a boy who is 17 years old. I want to gift some of my properties to my sister by will but natural parents of my adopted son are objecting to this stating that it is against law.

- by Ramakrishnaiah, Bangalore

You are at liberty to deal with properties which are acquired out of your own funds as you like, provided no agreement is made at the time of adoption about non-alienation of property. You may bequeath the property to your sister by will. Section 13 of Hindu adoption and maintenance act is very clear in this regard. However, apart from legal aspect you have a duty to your adopted son and should provide for him also.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.