logo logo

I am a Hindu widow. My son is a minor, who has immovable properties. My husband had made a Will bequeathing some properties to my son. My husband by a separate will also nominated his brother (my brother-in-law) as the guardian of my minor son, and the properties. My brother-in-law is not a good person and cannot be relied upon. As a mother, do I have any hold on the properties of my minor son? Please advise.

- by ,

When natural guardians are alive, the guardians appointed through Will does not have any powers to act on behalf of and for minors. Father and mother are natural guardians of minor son. On the death of the father, the mother will succeed as the natural guardian of the minor. Even if the father appoints someone as the guardian of minor, when the mother is alive, such nomination will not have any legal sanctity and only the mother shall act as guardian. Mother may appoint any other person to act as guardian of her minor, after her death, who only is authorised to act as guardian of the minor son. If the mother does not appoint any person as guardian by will, the guardian appointed by the father by Will shall succeed as guardian on the death of the mother, provided the son has not attained majority.

Your brother-in-law, though nominated as guardian by your husband, does not have any power to act as guardian of your minor son and you alone is the guardian. You may arrange to issue a legal notice to your brother-in-law and assert your rights.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- My father had inherited some ancestral properties from his father. I am the only son of my father. My father has sold the ancestral property when I was minor. The sale proceeds were utilized by my father for his trip to U.S.A. The said sale was done when I was five years old. I have completed 18 years of age on 6/12/2002 and want to assert my claim over the ancestral property. But I was told that I cannot move the court as the limitation of twelve years is over. Please advise, what is the remedy?

Q:- I own a house which is self acquired property purchased out of my earnings. I have two children, a son and daughter. My son is married and is living separately. My daughter is unmarried and is living with me in my house and is taking care of me. I am aged and want that my daughter should get my house but want that the house should be in my possession as long as I am alive. Please advise how to proceed.

Q:- In your August issue, you answered the query of Smt. Kausalya Devi about the devolution of property inherited by a female through her father. I am in similar situation but the property inherited by me is that of my father-in-law. I do not have any children and my husband also expired an year ago. Please advise how my property is devolved?

Q:- Sir, I am a Hindu widow and do not have any children. I have inherited property from my father.  Please inform who will succeed to my inherited property.

Q:- I am a Hindu and have acquired certain immovable properties out of my own income. I do not have any issues. My husband died recently and my parents also expired long back. Please inform who will succeed my acquired property if I do not make a will.