logo logo

We are three brothers. The youngest one ran away at the young age of 15 and there was no news about him for the last 14 years. We filed a police complaint and made all enquiries through available channels. During this period our parents passed away and we got the properties divided between the two of us. Now the brother has come back and he is claiming his share. Is there any way to solve this unexpected problem?

- by Ramanujam, Jayanagar, Bangalore

It seems your parents died without leaving any will. That being so, you three brothers are entitled to enjoy the property in equal proportion. A person missing does not mean that he is dead. But According to law, if a person is missing for 12 years he is presumed to be dead. Having come back, your brother is entitled to 1/3 rd share of the properties even though he was absent from the scene for about 14 years.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- My father had inherited some ancestral properties from his father. I am the only son of my father. My father has sold the ancestral property when I was minor. The sale proceeds were utilized by my father for his trip to U.S.A. The said sale was done when I was five years old. I have completed 18 years of age on 6/12/2002 and want to assert my claim over the ancestral property. But I was told that I cannot move the court as the limitation of twelve years is over. Please advise, what is the remedy?

Q:- I own a house which is self acquired property purchased out of my earnings. I have two children, a son and daughter. My son is married and is living separately. My daughter is unmarried and is living with me in my house and is taking care of me. I am aged and want that my daughter should get my house but want that the house should be in my possession as long as I am alive. Please advise how to proceed.

Q:- In your August issue, you answered the query of Smt. Kausalya Devi about the devolution of property inherited by a female through her father. I am in similar situation but the property inherited by me is that of my father-in-law. I do not have any children and my husband also expired an year ago. Please advise how my property is devolved?

Q:- Sir, I am a Hindu widow and do not have any children. I have inherited property from my father.  Please inform who will succeed to my inherited property.

Q:- I am a Hindu and have acquired certain immovable properties out of my own income. I do not have any issues. My husband died recently and my parents also expired long back. Please inform who will succeed my acquired property if I do not make a will.