logo logo

I am a Hindu widow. My son is a minor, who has immovable properties. My husband had made a Will bequeathing some properties to my son. My husband by a separate will also nominated his brother (my brother-in-law) as the guardian of my minor son, and the properties. My brother-in-law is not a good person and cannot be relied upon. As a mother, do I have any hold on the properties of my minor son? Please advise.

- by ,

When natural guardians are alive, the guardians appointed through Will does not have any powers to act on behalf of and for minors. Father and mother are natural guardians of minor son. On the death of the father, the mother will succeed as the natural guardian of the minor. Even if the father appoints someone as the guardian of minor, when the mother is alive, such nomination will not have any legal sanctity and only the mother shall act as guardian. Mother may appoint any other person to act as guardian of her minor, after her death, who only is authorised to act as guardian of the minor son. If the mother does not appoint any person as guardian by will, the guardian appointed by the father by Will shall succeed as guardian on the death of the mother, provided the son has not attained majority.

Your brother-in-law, though nominated as guardian by your husband, does not have any power to act as guardian of your minor son and you alone is the guardian. You may arrange to issue a legal notice to your brother-in-law and assert your rights.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- We are three brothers and two sisters. My elder sister was married on 3.8.1989, and has one son.  Another sister was married on 5.11.1995, and has no issues. We three brothers are living together as joint family in an ancestral house and have inherited ancestral property of our grandfather. Our parents have expired. Now my sisters are demanding shares in ancestral property including the house and have threatened to file a partition suit.  As we would like to settle the issue amicably, please advise us.

Q:- I have read that β€œin the absence of any family member not residing with the tenant all the heirs will be entitled to the tenancy right”. β€œ I have two married daughters residing in Navi Mumbai and I am at the Central suburb, how can I ensure that the tenancy rights of my daughters will be safeguarded and after my death the tenancy can be transferred in their names according to my will ?

Q:- If the property owner dies, what is the procedure to be followed for transferring the property to his legal heirs.

Q:- I am an Orphan and brought up by my distant relative. Out of natural lone and affection, my distant relative wants to give some immovable properties to me by will which he wants to keep secret.  Please clarify whether will requires to be witnessed or I and my relative could sign as witnesses.

My friend has immovable properties in States of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.  He has made a WILL in respect of these properties and wants to get it registered. Please clarify:
(a) As to the state in which will is to be registered.
(b) Can any member of the public or legal heirs of my friend obtain certified copies of the will?