logo logo

My sister is a converted Christian and succeeded to the property situated at Vidyaranyapura after the death of her husband. Now I got constructed a house in the Ground floor for my sister and First Floor for me and I want to acquire ownership pertaining to first floor only. What is the procedure involved for such a transfer? Can my sister release her rights over the first floor portion to me?

- by Madhusudhan, Domlur

Your sister being a Christian, it is very important to ascertain as to who are the surviving legal heirs of her late husband, since all the Legal heirs have right over the said property. Though she cannot release her right over the first floor portion, she can execute sale deed in your favour, along with 50% undivided share over the said property and all the surviving legal heirs have to sign the sale deed, confirming the sale in your favour.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- What is the difference between ‘Earnest Money’ and ‘Advance’ in Agreement to Sell?

Q:- What is meant by Defect Liability period in  a construction agreement?

Q:- I have taken some land on lease for 99 years and had con¬structed a multistoried building. The lease deed contains a clause. "Cannot assign, Underlet or sublet or part with the possession of the demised property without the previous permission of the lessor". The lease deed provided for construction of building, I have given portions of the building on leave and license to various busi¬nessmen. The lessor has issued a notice demanding subletting charges from me and has also marked the copies to licensees demanding to pay the subletting charges. What is the remedy? Can the lessor institute legal action against me and other licenses?

Q:- In connection with the purchase of a plot in a township on Mysore Road, I have paid major portion of the sale consideration to the developer. But the developer has not completed even half of the work and the progress work is unduly slow for various personal reasons of the builder. I have lost interest in the plot because of this. Please advise me how to get back my money with interest from the builder?

Q:- My wife and my children have thrown me out of the house because of some difference of opinion. I purchased a site and constructed a house there on out of my own funds and presently, they are enjoying this property. Can I Sell this house in occupation of my wife and children? Will they claim their share in the property?