logo logo

There are two houses in a compound. I am staying in the house which is behind my cousin's. To reach the road we have been using the passage that runs through my cousin's property for more than 25 years. He sold his property to another person without our knowledge and the new owner is obstructing our passage to the road. There is no other alternative route to the road. What shall we do?

- by Mrs. Seethalakshmi, Mysore

The new owner cannot deny you the passage you have been using out of necessity for a very long time without interruption. You have a right over the passageway, even though it does not belong to you. The Easement Act says that the owner cannot take away the right of the user of the passageway even though he is the owner of the property.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.