logo logo

In your February 2003 issue, under the article Purchase of Agricultural lands, it is mentioned that persons/families with an annual non-agricultural income of rupees two lakhs and above are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. What is the basis of determining the non- agricultural income?

- by Rama Rao, Gowribidanur

Section 79 (A) of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961 deals with the concept of non- agricultural income. The aggregate income of all the members of the family or the joint family from the sources other than agricultural land will be the non- agricultural income of the family or joint family.

A person, family or joint family having an average income of more than rupees two lakhs from non-agricultural source during five consecutive years or assessed for income tax on yearly non-agricultural total income of more than rupees two lakhs for five consecutive years, shall be deemed to have non-agricultural income of not more than two lakh rupees per year.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am a practicing Doctor. I own a house at Indiranagar, which is in residential area. Can I open a Clinic in the Car Garage? Is it permitted under Law?

Q:- I have a revenue site which is of dimension 30’ X 40’.  But in the particular layout, almost all the houses are built.  Few of them don’t have DC conversion.  I want to know how to apply for the DC conversion.  Can I as a single person apply for DC Conversion and how long it will take?

Q:- In your issue dated September 2004, under FAQ, it is informed that if an agricultural land is purchased by a person who is not eligible, such property automatically vests in the government. Please inform what is the position in case of a person who is not eligible to own an agricultural land; acquires agricultural land by Will or by inheritance.

Q:- My family is of agriculturists. We jointly own five acres, 20 guntas of agricultural land. The lands falls in green belt area. The income from agriculture is only source of our livelihood. Ours is a joint family consisting of 22 members. The land in close proximity to the Bangalore City and there is an apprehension, that the land may be notified by BDA at any time. As such can we initiate any legal process to avoid acquisition from BDA?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq. Fts. instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?