logo logo

I am founder of an educational institution situated on the outskirts of Mysore. The institution is fast developing and needs expansion. There are various agricultural lands surrounding the institution but sale and purchase of Agricultural lands is restricted in Karnataka. The owners are willing to convert the land and then sell but it will be costly, which our institution cannot afford. Please advise how I can acquire additional land for the educational institution.

- by Shivarudrappa, Chamarajanagar

Section 109 of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act empowers the government to exempt any land in any area from the provisions of the sections 63, 79-A, 79-B or 80 to be used by educational institutions recognised by state or central government for non-agricultural purpose. The limit is four units of land; you may approach the District Revenue Authorities for exemption of the restrictive provisions of sale/purchase of agricultural land which you want to purchase.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am a practicing Doctor. I own a house at Indiranagar, which is in residential area. Can I open a Clinic in the Car Garage? Is it permitted under Law?

Q:- I have a revenue site which is of dimension 30’ X 40’.  But in the particular layout, almost all the houses are built.  Few of them don’t have DC conversion.  I want to know how to apply for the DC conversion.  Can I as a single person apply for DC Conversion and how long it will take?

Q:- In your issue dated September 2004, under FAQ, it is informed that if an agricultural land is purchased by a person who is not eligible, such property automatically vests in the government. Please inform what is the position in case of a person who is not eligible to own an agricultural land; acquires agricultural land by Will or by inheritance.

Q:- My family is of agriculturists. We jointly own five acres, 20 guntas of agricultural land. The lands falls in green belt area. The income from agriculture is only source of our livelihood. Ours is a joint family consisting of 22 members. The land in close proximity to the Bangalore City and there is an apprehension, that the land may be notified by BDA at any time. As such can we initiate any legal process to avoid acquisition from BDA?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq. Fts. instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?