logo logo

I have purchased a site near Hebbal and want to construct a house. My friend has informed them the site is an Agricultural land and the previous owner had not converted the land to non-agricultural purpose. But the previous owner maintains at the       Bangalore Mahanagara Palike has collected the betterment charges as the area came within Corporation limits. Please advise.

- by Hanumantharayappa, Hebbal

Basically the agricultural land cannot be used for any other purpose unless it is conversed for non-agricultural purpose, on payment of conversion charges under the provisions of Karnataka Land Revenue Act. But owning to the expansion of the city limits, the peripheral areas comes under the jurisdiction of Municipal authorities concerned who collect betterment charges and assign khatha number to such sites. Such sites do not need any conversion and may be used for non-agricultural purpose. You may verify the relevant records in corporation area office with specific reference to ward number and Khatha.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am a practicing Doctor. I own a house at Indiranagar, which is in residential area. Can I open a Clinic in the Car Garage? Is it permitted under Law?

Q:- I have a revenue site which is of dimension 30’ X 40’.  But in the particular layout, almost all the houses are built.  Few of them don’t have DC conversion.  I want to know how to apply for the DC conversion.  Can I as a single person apply for DC Conversion and how long it will take?

Q:- In your issue dated September 2004, under FAQ, it is informed that if an agricultural land is purchased by a person who is not eligible, such property automatically vests in the government. Please inform what is the position in case of a person who is not eligible to own an agricultural land; acquires agricultural land by Will or by inheritance.

Q:- My family is of agriculturists. We jointly own five acres, 20 guntas of agricultural land. The lands falls in green belt area. The income from agriculture is only source of our livelihood. Ours is a joint family consisting of 22 members. The land in close proximity to the Bangalore City and there is an apprehension, that the land may be notified by BDA at any time. As such can we initiate any legal process to avoid acquisition from BDA?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq. Fts. instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?