logo logo

Our location is purely residential.  But a private school is functioning in a rented building in the area.  The school authorities are planning to construct own building.  Can we object to the location of the school in residential area?

- by Rammohan Reddy, Bangalore

Comprehensive development plan 1995 for Bangalore allows certain essential services in residential areas which are required by the residents.  Schools offering general education, course upto secondary education are permitted in residential area.  One cannot object to location of such schools in residential area.  Please check up the nature of education offered.

You may also verify the approved plan for the present rented school building,  whether it is for residential purpose, or for school, and if found any deviations may initiate action.

With regard to proposed new building of the School, if it complies with setbacks, FAR and other building bye-laws, it cannot be objected to.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am a practicing Doctor. I own a house at Indiranagar, which is in residential area. Can I open a Clinic in the Car Garage? Is it permitted under Law?

Q:- I have a revenue site which is of dimension 30’ X 40’.  But in the particular layout, almost all the houses are built.  Few of them don’t have DC conversion.  I want to know how to apply for the DC conversion.  Can I as a single person apply for DC Conversion and how long it will take?

Q:- In your issue dated September 2004, under FAQ, it is informed that if an agricultural land is purchased by a person who is not eligible, such property automatically vests in the government. Please inform what is the position in case of a person who is not eligible to own an agricultural land; acquires agricultural land by Will or by inheritance.

Q:- My family is of agriculturists. We jointly own five acres, 20 guntas of agricultural land. The lands falls in green belt area. The income from agriculture is only source of our livelihood. Ours is a joint family consisting of 22 members. The land in close proximity to the Bangalore City and there is an apprehension, that the land may be notified by BDA at any time. As such can we initiate any legal process to avoid acquisition from BDA?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq. Fts. instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?