logo logo

My son wants to purchase a plot on the outskirts of Bangalore which is found to be falling within the green belt area for construction of a residential house.  I have been told that non-agriculturists are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands.  But the vendor states that this problem could be circumvented by registering this plot in sq.ft. instead of guntas. My father is an agriculturist.   Can my son purchase this land and construct a house?

- by Shylendra, Bangalore

If you show documentary proof that he is an agriculturist, He may purchase the plot and get it registered in guntas provided he fulfills the eligible income criteria.  Any person, family, joint family who are agriculturists and the assured annual income from non-agricultural sources is less than two Lakh may purchase agricultural lands.  To arrive at this figure, the non-agricultural income of all the family members of the joint family will be considered.  The average assured non-agricultural income of the joint family for the immediate previous five years should be less than two Lakh.       


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am a practicing Doctor. I own a house at Indiranagar, which is in residential area. Can I open a Clinic in the Car Garage? Is it permitted under Law?

Q:- I have a revenue site which is of dimension 30’ X 40’.  But in the particular layout, almost all the houses are built.  Few of them don’t have DC conversion.  I want to know how to apply for the DC conversion.  Can I as a single person apply for DC Conversion and how long it will take?

Q:- In your issue dated September 2004, under FAQ, it is informed that if an agricultural land is purchased by a person who is not eligible, such property automatically vests in the government. Please inform what is the position in case of a person who is not eligible to own an agricultural land; acquires agricultural land by Will or by inheritance.

Q:- My family is of agriculturists. We jointly own five acres, 20 guntas of agricultural land. The lands falls in green belt area. The income from agriculture is only source of our livelihood. Ours is a joint family consisting of 22 members. The land in close proximity to the Bangalore City and there is an apprehension, that the land may be notified by BDA at any time. As such can we initiate any legal process to avoid acquisition from BDA?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist are not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq. Fts. instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?