logo logo

How safe is buying DC – Converted site in and around BDA Layouts?

- by S.V. Raghavendra, Basaveshwarnagar, Bangalore

DC – converted site is an agricultural land converted to non-agricultural purpose by competent authority. Special Deputy Commissioner is the competent authority for Bangalore District. Apart from parent documents which establishes the title of the owner to the property the following documents have to be verified.

1. Nil Acquisition Certificate from BDA

2. Approved layout from BDA or BMRDA

3. Land is converted to Residential Purpose verify conversion order, conversion charges paid receipt.

4. The sites are formed and approved within the time stipulated in conversion order

5. Property is assessed for property tax and property tax receipts are issued.

6. The RTC discloses the conversion.

7. In case of lands falling under City Municipal Councils, the betterment charges should have paid before 29/05/03.

If the title of the owner is perfect and the conversion is from competent authority, there is no harm in buying the DC converted sites in and around BDA Layouts.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- There are two houses in a compound. I am staying in the house which is behind my cousin's. To reach the road we have been using the passage that runs through my cousin's property for more than 25 years. He sold his property to another person without our knowledge and the new owner is obstructing our passage to the road. There is no other alternative route to the road. What shall we do?

Q:- Certain hidden facts like pending cases, prior agreements, government notification of the property cannot be traced easily by verification of the documents. How can these hidden factors be uncov¬ered, and what should a purchaser do to protect himself against these factors?

Q:- What is the procedure for Khata transfer and the actual cost to transfer the Khata. How do we know that the Khata transfer certificate is original?

Q:- I am not able to understand the difference between Khata Certificate and Khata Extract. Would you please enlighten me on this?  Could you also brief me about the importance of Encumbrance Certificate?

Q:- My son wants to purchase a plot near Horamavu, but on verification of CDP map, the plot was found to be in green belt area. I have been advised that non-agriculturist is not eligible to purchase agricultural lands. The present owner assures me that the problem can be solved by registering the land in Sq, fts. Instead of guntas. My father is a farmer. Many such transactions have taken place. Can my son purchase this land and construct a house. There are also chances of land being notified by BDA, in that case what are the consequences?