logo logo

I have purchased a site near Kengeri and want to construct a house. My friend has informed me that the site is an agricultural land and the previous owner had not got the land converted for non-agricultural purpose. But the previous owner maintains that the Bangalore Mahanagara Palike has collected the betterment charges as the area came within Corporation limits. Please advice. 

- by P. Prakash, R.T. Nagar

Basically the agricultural land cannot be used for any other purpose unless it is converted for non-agricultural purpose, on payment of conversion charges under the provisions of Karnataka Land Revenue Act. But owing to the expansion of the city limits, the peripheral area which comes under the jurisdiction of municipal authorities concerned who collect betterment charges and assign Khatha number to such sites do not need any conversion and may be used for non-agricultural purpose. You may verify the relevant records in Corporation area office with specific reference to ward number and khata.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.