logo logo

I am a Hindu widow. My son is a minor, who has immovable properties. My husband had made a Will bequeathing some properties to my son. My husband by a separate will also nominated his brother (my brother-in-law) as the guardian of my minor son, and the properties. My brother-in-law is not a good person and cannot be relied upon. As a mother, do I have any hold on the properties of my minor son? Please advise.

- by ,

When natural guardians are alive, the guardians appointed through Will does not have any powers to act on behalf of and for minors. Father and mother are natural guardians of minor son. On the death of the father, the mother will succeed as the natural guardian of the minor. Even if the father appoints someone as the guardian of minor, when the mother is alive, such nomination will not have any legal sanctity and only the mother shall act as guardian. Mother may appoint any other person to act as guardian of her minor, after her death, who only is authorised to act as guardian of the minor son. If the mother does not appoint any person as guardian by will, the guardian appointed by the father by Will shall succeed as guardian on the death of the mother, provided the son has not attained majority.

Your brother-in-law, though nominated as guardian by your husband, does not have any power to act as guardian of your minor son and you alone is the guardian. You may arrange to issue a legal notice to your brother-in-law and assert your rights.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- My father had inherited some ancestral properties from his father.  He has sold one such immovable property when I was minor and utilized the sale proceeds for his visit to USA.  The said sale was done when I was five years old.  Now I have competed 18 years on 15.6.2008. I am the only son to my father.  I want to assert my claim over this ancestral property.  Please advise me suitably.

Q:- I have a self-acquired property. By a Will I bequeathed the property to my son and registered the Will. Thereafter, I changed my mind and bequeathed the property to my daughter through another Will, which is not registered. Is this valid?

Q:- My husband died leaving behind him, my child and me. I depend on the income from my husband’s property. Now, my mother-in-law is asking for a share in the property. She has other income. Is she entitled to a share in my husband's property?

Q:- We are three brothers and we have inherited the ancestral property situated in Chamrajpet, Bangalore. The original property was owned by my grandfather, which was, partitioned between his two sons, one being my father. The Partition Deed is registered. On the death of my father we three broth¬ers, orally partitioned the parti¬tion. The portion deed is not in writing and not registered. But all the three have separate khatas and properties are assessed separately. Is it necessary to have the Partition Deed registered? We three broth¬ers are in good terms with each other.

Q:- I have converted from Hinduism to Christianity. Will change of religion affect my succession to the property of my Hindu parents?