logo logo

About 6 years back I purchased a site from my neighbour with GPA reg., actually this is an agricultural land and he informed that he will convert it and make full registration within 2-3 years. However till date he could not do it and unfortunately last night he died of heart attack. I would like to know what will happen to my purchase of site through GPA Reg. Is it valid? (It has been reg. at sub reg. office) Can we claim the site?

- by Anand Rao, Thindlu, Bangalore

Your query does not clearly state the situation. It is not clear whether the GPA was registered or a sale deed executed by GPA holder was registered in your favour.

In Karnataka, there are restrictions on purchase of agricultural lands, only agriculturist whose non-agricultural annual income is less than 2 lakhs or an agricultural labour are entitled to purchase government lands and other with prior permission of the State Government. If you are not an agriculturist and if the land is not converted, you do not have proper legal rights over the site. However, with the death of the donor, General Power of Attorney gets terminated. You are advised to contact an advocate with all details.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.