logo logo

Before purchasing a property is it necessary to give a Public Notice in a newspaper?

- by Ramanan, Vijayanagar

While scrutinizing the documents of the property an eminent advocate well versed in property matters, can trace ninety percent title but may not sometimes be able to trace encumbrances like prior agreement, simple mortgage, court litigation etc with respect to the property. Therefore, to safeguard the interest of the purchaser, it is advisable to give a Public Notice in a leading local newspaper before purchasing the property. It is not binding on any clamant to answer to such notice. However, if any bonafide claimants are there, they will inform about their right, title and interest in the property with documentary proof. Also such notice will inform the public at large that the purchaser is a genuine buyer of the property.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I purchased a first floor flat from a promoter. From the second floor water is leading into my bathroom. Shall I ask the promoter to rectify the defect or the second floor owner? What is the remedy? Can I file a case against the promoter?

Q:- I have immovable properties in Mumbai, Bangalore which are let-out, now I require them for my business. Please inform me, in general, the grounds for eviction of my tenants?

Q:- This query is about undivided land in apartments building. What care should be taken above the undivided land while purchasing a flat? Should we register this also while purchasing the flat? Can we construct an independent house after the flats are demolished?

Q:- I am staying in a rented apartment. As per the terms of the rental agreement, I issued 3 month's notice to the landlord. The land┬Člord says he cannot refund the security deposit till he finds a new tenant. He is suggesting me to vacate the apartment. If I vacate the apartment I may not get the deposit back. If I do not vacate he will go on adjusting the rent against the deposit, which I do not want. Please suggest a way out to solve the problem.

Q:- I have entered into an agreement to sell to buy a flat.  Now the builder insists that I pay service tax, sales tax, electricity and BWSSB charges, stamp duty, registration charges corpus fund for association which will be nearly 25% more than agreed flat rate.  Whether I am liable to pay all the charges or not kindly clarify.