logo logo

I have seen a house at Indiranagar. It has a ground floor and first floor having independent entry. The owner wants to sell the ground floor and wants to keep the first floor for his use. Shall I go ahead with the purchase of the ground floor? 

- by K. Ravi, Bommasandra

If the documents of the title are clean, you may go ahead with the purchase. While drafting the deed of conveyance, extraordinary care must be taken with regard to the right, title and interest of the parties in the property. There shall be no room for misunderstanding between the ground floor owner and the first floor owner as to the undivided share of  land, right of entry, passage of electricity cable, sanitary and water connections, usage of the setback area, usage of open terrace, common areas etc.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I purchased a first floor flat from a promoter. From the second floor water is leading into my bathroom. Shall I ask the promoter to rectify the defect or the second floor owner? What is the remedy? Can I file a case against the promoter?

Q:- I have immovable properties in Mumbai, Bangalore which are let-out, now I require them for my business. Please inform me, in general, the grounds for eviction of my tenants?

Q:- This query is about undivided land in apartments building. What care should be taken above the undivided land while purchasing a flat? Should we register this also while purchasing the flat? Can we construct an independent house after the flats are demolished?

Q:- I am staying in a rented apartment. As per the terms of the rental agreement, I issued 3 month's notice to the landlord. The land¬lord says he cannot refund the security deposit till he finds a new tenant. He is suggesting me to vacate the apartment. If I vacate the apartment I may not get the deposit back. If I do not vacate he will go on adjusting the rent against the deposit, which I do not want. Please suggest a way out to solve the problem.

Q:- I have entered into an agreement to sell to buy a flat.  Now the builder insists that I pay service tax, sales tax, electricity and BWSSB charges, stamp duty, registration charges corpus fund for association which will be nearly 25% more than agreed flat rate.  Whether I am liable to pay all the charges or not kindly clarify.