logo logo

I live in an apartment building.  The byelaws of the apartment owners association are silent about pets. One of the owners having two flats keeps dogs and cats as pets. His tenant too has a dog. The dogs/cats sometimes urinate/ defecate in common areas. Kindly advise me to save me from this nuisance?

- by James, K.R. Puram.

There is no restriction on maintaining pets by any individual. However, the owner of such pets should take precaution to save others from the nuisance caused by his pets to others and is responsible for any injury caused to the public. You can legally proceed against the owner of the pets for the nuisance suffered by you and for disturbance to your peaceful possession and enjoyment. 


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I purchased a first floor flat from a promoter. From the second floor water is leading into my bathroom. Shall I ask the promoter to rectify the defect or the second floor owner? What is the remedy? Can I file a case against the promoter?

Q:- I have immovable properties in Mumbai, Bangalore which are let-out, now I require them for my business. Please inform me, in general, the grounds for eviction of my tenants?

Q:- This query is about undivided land in apartments building. What care should be taken above the undivided land while purchasing a flat? Should we register this also while purchasing the flat? Can we construct an independent house after the flats are demolished?

Q:- I am staying in a rented apartment. As per the terms of the rental agreement, I issued 3 month's notice to the landlord. The land¬lord says he cannot refund the security deposit till he finds a new tenant. He is suggesting me to vacate the apartment. If I vacate the apartment I may not get the deposit back. If I do not vacate he will go on adjusting the rent against the deposit, which I do not want. Please suggest a way out to solve the problem.

Q:- I have entered into an agreement to sell to buy a flat.  Now the builder insists that I pay service tax, sales tax, electricity and BWSSB charges, stamp duty, registration charges corpus fund for association which will be nearly 25% more than agreed flat rate.  Whether I am liable to pay all the charges or not kindly clarify.