logo logo

My maternal grandfather has bequeathed one acre of agricultural land to my mother and her agricultural income is less than two lakhs. Can she purchase further agricultural lands? What is the ceiling on holding on agricultural lands?

- by Virupakshagowda, Malur

The income limit of Rupees Two lakhs prescribed under section 79A of Karnataka Land Reforms Act is from non-agricultural source, which has come to force from 20.10.1995. The entire non-agricultural income of the family for the last preceding five years is the criteria. If the non-agricultural income of the family is less than two lakhs for the last five years, your mother may purchase the agricultural land as she is from an agricultural family. The land holding ceiling for a family of more than five members is ten units plus 2 units for every member with a maximum ceiling of 20 units


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I have purchased a site at Kengeri measuring 30’ x 40’.  But the sale deed which was registered mentions the area as 29’ X 40’.  The consideration was paid for 30’ X 40’.  I did not consider it as major mistake as the entire site area of 30’ X 40’ was fenced and the site was in my possession from the date of purchase that is 1990.  I have constructed a house also. However my neighbor is claiming that 1’ X 40’ area belongs to him. I seek your kind advice as to the course of action to be taken. 

I would like to state that I bought a site in BSK VI stage. I am desired to know more about the area and the progress that is being taken place. By what time the area will be fully developed to proceed on constructing a house.
What are the documents other than sale deed,  Khata, tax paid receipt required to avail loan from the banks? Is encumbrance certificate to be made if the allotment is made by the BDA directly?

Q:- My father owns a property in Bangalore. It consists of ground floor only, we are two brothers and one sister. Property in question stands in the name of my father, which is self acquired. I have been granted a home loan to construct the first floor; my sister and brother have given no objection letter to construct the first floor. Later on my brother wants to construct the second floor. But my father has refused to give no objection letter or even cede our proportionate share in the property. Please advice how to overcome this problem. 

Q:- If a property is approved by BDA, BMRDA or by BIAPPA. Can that piece of land be lost by way of acquisition?

Q:- Shall I purchase a revenue site at Sarjapura Road, Bangalore?