logo logo

I am not able to understand the difference between Khata Certificate and Khata Extract. Would you please enlighten me on this?  Could you also brief me about the importance of Encumbrance Certificate?

- by Venketesh, Srirampuram

Khata is revenue record main¬tained by the municipal authorities in respect of a property standing in the name of a particular person for purposes of assessment and collection of property tax. As it is a secondary document, in the absence of primary documents like sale deed, gift, partition deed, release deed, will, grant, etc., It does not establish the title in its totality.

Khata Certificate is a certificate issued by the Municipal authority Office confirming that the Khata of a particular property stands in the name of particular person/s.
Khata Extract is the extract of the tax assessment register maintained at Municipal Office giving complete details of the property like area of the site, building, property tax levied, cess and total tax payable, name of the previous owner and the present owner.

Encumbrance Certificates are issued by sub-registrar offices for a specific period as required by the applicant. They contain the details of the property like survey no, house no, boundaries, and encumbrance like sale, gift, mortgage of the property if any which are registered at the said sub-registrar's office. They do not reflect the encumbrances which are not registered.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I have purchased a site at Kengeri measuring 30’ x 40’.  But the sale deed which was registered mentions the area as 29’ X 40’.  The consideration was paid for 30’ X 40’.  I did not consider it as major mistake as the entire site area of 30’ X 40’ was fenced and the site was in my possession from the date of purchase that is 1990.  I have constructed a house also. However my neighbor is claiming that 1’ X 40’ area belongs to him. I seek your kind advice as to the course of action to be taken. 

I would like to state that I bought a site in BSK VI stage. I am desired to know more about the area and the progress that is being taken place. By what time the area will be fully developed to proceed on constructing a house.
What are the documents other than sale deed,  Khata, tax paid receipt required to avail loan from the banks? Is encumbrance certificate to be made if the allotment is made by the BDA directly?

Q:- My father owns a property in Bangalore. It consists of ground floor only, we are two brothers and one sister. Property in question stands in the name of my father, which is self acquired. I have been granted a home loan to construct the first floor; my sister and brother have given no objection letter to construct the first floor. Later on my brother wants to construct the second floor. But my father has refused to give no objection letter or even cede our proportionate share in the property. Please advice how to overcome this problem. 

Q:- If a property is approved by BDA, BMRDA or by BIAPPA. Can that piece of land be lost by way of acquisition?

Q:- Shall I purchase a revenue site at Sarjapura Road, Bangalore?