logo logo

Could you briefly explain me about the difference between the Khata Certificate and Khata Extract and the  importance of Encumbrance Certificate?

- by K.S. Sheela Prasad, Gangenahalli

Katha Certificate is a certificate issued by the Municipal Office confirming that the Katha (account) of a particular property stands in the name of particular person/s as per their records. Katha Extract is the extract from the Tax Assessment register maintened at Municipal Office giving complete details of the property like area of the site, building, property tax, levies, cess and total tax payable, the name of the previous owner, and present owner, and present owner. 

Encumbrance certificate is one of the documents which would throw some light on the valid and marketable title of the vendor. Encumbrance certificates are issued by sub-registrar offices for a specific period as required by the applicant. They contain details of the property like survey no, house no, boundaries, and encumbrances like sale, gift, mortgage etc., if any created over  the property under a written document which is registered at the concerned Sub-registrar’s office. However, the Encumbrance Certificartes do not reflect the charges/encumbarances created  which are not registered.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I have purchased a site at Kengeri measuring 30’ x 40’.  But the sale deed which was registered mentions the area as 29’ X 40’.  The consideration was paid for 30’ X 40’.  I did not consider it as major mistake as the entire site area of 30’ X 40’ was fenced and the site was in my possession from the date of purchase that is 1990.  I have constructed a house also. However my neighbor is claiming that 1’ X 40’ area belongs to him. I seek your kind advice as to the course of action to be taken. 

I would like to state that I bought a site in BSK VI stage. I am desired to know more about the area and the progress that is being taken place. By what time the area will be fully developed to proceed on constructing a house.
What are the documents other than sale deed,  Khata, tax paid receipt required to avail loan from the banks? Is encumbrance certificate to be made if the allotment is made by the BDA directly?

Q:- My father owns a property in Bangalore. It consists of ground floor only, we are two brothers and one sister. Property in question stands in the name of my father, which is self acquired. I have been granted a home loan to construct the first floor; my sister and brother have given no objection letter to construct the first floor. Later on my brother wants to construct the second floor. But my father has refused to give no objection letter or even cede our proportionate share in the property. Please advice how to overcome this problem. 

Q:- If a property is approved by BDA, BMRDA or by BIAPPA. Can that piece of land be lost by way of acquisition?

Q:- Shall I purchase a revenue site at Sarjapura Road, Bangalore?