logo logo

I am purchasing a BDA corner property along with a house. What are the documents that I must collect from the vendor?

- by Debjit Roy, Sriramapura

You must collect the following documents from the vendor at the time of execution of the Sale Deed:

(a) Auction sale confirmation letter issued by the BDA.

(b) Receipt issued by the BDA or bank challan for the cost of site.

(c) Certified copy of the auction sale agreement.

(d) Possession Certificate issued by BDA.

(e) Khata Certificate issued by BDA (or BBMP if the area comes under it).

(f) Tax-paid receipts including latest tax-paid receipt.

(g) Encumbrance Certificate from the date of allotment to date.

(h) License for construction.

(i) Copy of Sanction Plan.

(j) Tax Assessment Order for the building.

(k) Original Sale Deed executed by BDA.

In addition to these important documents you must collect sanitary sanction letter and the last bill paid to the electricity board and water supply board.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- What precaution should I take before purchase of a DC converted site? Is it advisable to purchase such a site?

Q:- The Khata of property which we own is still in the name of my father who has died five years ago. At present the property is jointly owned by my mother, me and my sister as per the Will made by my father. Tax paid receipts is issued in the name of my father. Their property is in Bangalore. Please advise the procedure for transfer of Khata in our names.  Can the Khata be in any one of our names?

Q:- About 6 years back I purchased a site from my neighbour with GPA reg., actually this is an agricultural land and he informed that he will convert it and make full registration within 2-3 years. However till date he could not do it and unfortunately last night he died of heart attack. I would like to know what will happen to my purchase of site through GPA Reg. Is it valid? (It has been reg. at sub reg. office) Can we claim the site?

Q:- I am planning to buy a site near electronic city. The layout is on agricultural land and the middle man has converted it into a layout. Now since the registration is not happening, he is asking to buy this land as an agricultural land. Can we go ahead with this offer? Please give us the implications of it.

Q:- Certain hidden facts like pending cases, prior agreements, and government notification of the property cannot be traced easily by verification of the documents. How can these hidden factors be uncovered and what should a purchaser do to protect himself against these factors? Also, your articles are very informative for a lay-person like me. Thank you very much.