logo logo

What are the documents needed to be produced at the time of registration of Sale deed of agricultural land?

- by Mohanlal, Raichur

In case of purchase of agricultural lands the following documents are required to be produced:

1. Form No. 1 – 2 Nos.

2. Vendor’s pani, mutation.

3. Purchaser’s pani.

4. Survey map of the land to be sold, certified by the survey department.

5. Affidavits – 4 Nos.

6. J form.

The non-agricultural income of the purchaser should not exceed Rs.2 lakhs per year as per Sec. 79-A of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961.

Sale of the land granted by the government is not allowed for a period of 15 years.  Purchase of such properties requires no objection certificates from the Tahasildar.  Similarly sale of land granted to members of Scheduled Caste and Tribes is not allowed.

Purchase of agricultural lands by people other than agriculturists and agricultural labourers needs permission from government as per Section 79-B of Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961.

In case of purchase of agricultural lands by clubs, association, permission from government is mandatory as per Section 109 of Karnataka Land Reforms Act, 1961.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am buying a property at Jakkasandra (old village area) presently coming under City Corporation.  Betterment charges paid receipt and Conversion Order are not there.  Is it possible to register this property?

Q:- My son and I have jointly borrowed money from the bank for purchase of a flat in Bangalore and we are sharing the EMI.  My question is whether the property is to be registered in our names jointly or whether it should be registered in single name? 

Q:- I have purchased a property in Corporation limits of Shimoga. As I went abroad immediately after signing the sale deed, my close friend presented the document for registration which was accepted and registered. Later, I came to know that the presentation should be either by executant or claimant or only by a duly authorized agent through power of attorney. I have not given any power of attorney to my friend. I am told that the registration is invalid. Please advise.

Q:- I am not able to understand the difference between Katha Certificate and Katha Extract. Could you also brief me about the importance of Encumbrance Certificate? I shall be very grateful to you if you could give me reply to my mail with answers. I shall sincerely look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you, very truly yours.

Q:- I have purchased a house in January 2003.The sub-registrar of Basavanagudi, where the sale deed was registered, did not agree for the stamp duty paid on the sale deed and served us a notice to pay additional stamp duty of Rs. 6,575/- which was also paid and the sale deed was registered. The registered sale deed is with me. I am in possession of the house. But recently I have received a notice from the Department of under valuation stating that the property is undervalued and to pay additional stamp duty of as Rs. 4,255. As I have paid the stamp duty as demanded by the sub-registrar why this notice? Can I ignore the notice?  Please advice.