logo logo

What is meant by the term 'Civic Amenity'?

- by Rajeshwari, Vijayanagar

Civic amenity means:

(a) a market, a post office, a telephone exchange, a bank, a fair price shop, a milk booth, a school, a dispensary, a hospital, a pathological laboratory, a maternity home, a child care center, a library, a gymnasium, a bus stand or a bus depot;

(b) a recreation center run by the Government or by the Corporation;

(c) a center for educational, social or cultural activities established by the Central Government or the State Government or by a body established by the Central Government or by the State Government;

(d) a center for educational, religious, social or cultural activities for philanthropic service run by a cooperative society registered under the Karnataka Co-operative Act, 1959 (Karnataka Act 11 of 1959) or a society registered under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960 (Karnataka Act 17 of 1960) or by a trust created wholly for charitable, educational or religious purpose;

(e) a police station, an area office or a service station of the Corporation of Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board or the Karnataka Electricity Board;

(f) such other amenity as the Government may, by notification, specify.


These are all the legal questions answered by Advocate S.Selvakumar in various magazines, in various occasion including realestate reporter monthly.


Q:- I am buying a property at Jakkasandra (old village area) presently coming under City Corporation.  Betterment charges paid receipt and Conversion Order are not there.  Is it possible to register this property?

Q:- My son and I have jointly borrowed money from the bank for purchase of a flat in Bangalore and we are sharing the EMI.  My question is whether the property is to be registered in our names jointly or whether it should be registered in single name? 

Q:- I have purchased a property in Corporation limits of Shimoga. As I went abroad immediately after signing the sale deed, my close friend presented the document for registration which was accepted and registered. Later, I came to know that the presentation should be either by executant or claimant or only by a duly authorized agent through power of attorney. I have not given any power of attorney to my friend. I am told that the registration is invalid. Please advise.

Q:- I am not able to understand the difference between Katha Certificate and Katha Extract. Could you also brief me about the importance of Encumbrance Certificate? I shall be very grateful to you if you could give me reply to my mail with answers. I shall sincerely look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you, very truly yours.

Q:- I have purchased a house in January 2003.The sub-registrar of Basavanagudi, where the sale deed was registered, did not agree for the stamp duty paid on the sale deed and served us a notice to pay additional stamp duty of Rs. 6,575/- which was also paid and the sale deed was registered. The registered sale deed is with me. I am in possession of the house. But recently I have received a notice from the Department of under valuation stating that the property is undervalued and to pay additional stamp duty of as Rs. 4,255. As I have paid the stamp duty as demanded by the sub-registrar why this notice? Can I ignore the notice?  Please advice.