What are the objectives and functions of KERC?
The primary objective of KERC is to regulate the power sector in the state of Karnataka. The other functions/objectives include the following:
• To determine the tariff for generation, supply, transmission and wheeling of electricity, wholesale, bulk or retail, as the case may be, within the State.
• Regulate electricity purchase and procurement process of distribution licensees including the price at which electricity shall be procured from the generating companies or licensees or from other sources
• Facilitate intra-transmission and wheeling charges
• Issue licenses to persons seeking to act as transmission licensees, distribution licensees and electricity traders
• Promote cogeneration and generation of electricity from renewable sources of energy
• Adjudicate upon the disputes between the licensees and generating companies
• Levy fee for the purposes of the Electricity Act 2003
• Specify State Grid Code
• Specify or enforce standards with respect to quality, continuity and reliability of service by licensees